Friday, December 23, 2011

Powering the blues


I have recently invested $2,000.00 in active speakers. It is was a difficult decision to make. It involves taking a leap of faith. Faith in myself. Faith in the music. Faith in my band mates. The last part is still up in the air.
Mackie SRM350v2 Powered Speaker
Anyway I digress. I had originally purchased a Mackie SRM350v2. I was going to use it in my practice space as a vocal monitor and drive it with an M-Audio Profire 610. It worked. It wasn't nearly loud enough. We pushed it to the limit of a vocal monitor. It started to cut out and distort badly. I needed more power!
I went back to Guitar Center and talked to Hilding. He is a very knowledgable Guitar Center Pro Audio Manager who helped me out. He spent a lot of time with me helping me make the correct decision based on the information he could get out of me. Believe me I am never helpful when it comes to getting information. I would have made a great spy.
Hilding suggested the QSC K10 10" powered speaker. 1000 watts of power! They are loud.
I decided to swap my Mackie for the K10. I also purchased another K10. I thought it would be better to have two and not mess around. I also had the money. That helped.
QSC K10 10" Powered Speaker
I opened one of the K10s, in case I needed to make a return, and it is definitely enoughpower. I haven't opened the second yet, I have had horrible buyers remorse, but I am going to do it this weekend sometime. Here is a picture of the new gear. These guys are much nicer than the Mackie. They are much more expensive too.
There is nothing like new gear to motivate a musician. I don't like having it laying around and not using it. I just kills me that it is sitting in my practice space not getting used every day. I gotta go call the guys.

No comments: